The French national church in Rome

History of the collection

Saturday 30 May 2015

All the versions of this article: [English] [français] [italiano]


The fund of the library Chaplains of St. Louis of the French occupies two rooms on the third floor of the priestly community, via Santa Giovanna d’Arco in Rome. This is a private library which nevertheless has a relatively large fund composed of a modern capital, recently inventoried, an old printed fund that represents about fifteen thousand volumes, a collection of engravings and one of about two hundred pieces of manuscripts. The books that are now preserved in the library from various ancient libraries: The largest fund is that of St. Louis Oratory, settled in places between 1624 and 1731. Their acquisitions were constant and organized throughout the period and most beautiful editions of the sixteenth century found in the fund comes from the funds of the Oratorians. The manuscript aside, the fund Oratorian contains quite a number of copies of documents dating mainly from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, attesting to the evolution of relations between the court of France and the papacy. The papers found there believe we can make a study of the position of the Oratorians during this period, and an assessment of the positions defended by the congregation in the case of quietism and relative to Jansenists theses. In the first two lines of research will likely add a third which would seek to identify the positions of the Gallican congregation and how these positions were received and included in Rome.Retour automatic line In addition to the copies of official documents, the fund of manuscripts Oratory of St. Louis also offers traces of stay of scholars belonging to the congregation, especially the eighteenth century. Two names appear particularly important and could be the subject of monographs by completing the information by those available in the archives of the Pious Fund Etablissemnts of France in Rome and Lorette.Retour automatic line We know most of the path of Jean Bouget. Oratorien the first half of the eighteenth century, arrived in Rome under the protection of Duke Albani, he became successively holds the chair of Greek and Hebrew that of college propaganda of the faith. His career then takes place in the entourage of Pope Benedict XIV which he became familiar. It publishes a bilingual lexicon Hebraicum in 1737, a work valued by experts, including the library of St. Louis keeps two copies. Before or during the course, he could hear courses in philosophy or logic in Rome and manuscripts that are remarks on the philosophy of history or Cartesian logic are probablementdes lecture notes taken on that occasion. It also copies, probably on the editions printed two copies of the pastoral Daphnis and Chloe, letters and a treaty of John Chrysostom, and a copy of Minucius Felix. Also found in the Latin Library funds aticane various remarks on the Greek institutions, unpublished so far known